DIET Basics – Make These Healthy Changes
CARBOHYDRATES: Should be about 40% of your total caloric intake. The total should not be less that 130 grams/day. A minimum of 20-35 grams/day of fiber.
PROTEIN: Should be about 30% of your total caloric intake.
FATS: Should be about 30% of your total caloric intake. Choose mono- and polyunsaturated fats: olive oil, canola oil, nuts/seeds, fish twice a week (choose those high in omega-3 fatty acids: salmon, herring, trout, sardines, fresh tuna).
PRACTICE MINDFUL EATING: Eat only when you are hungry.
Choose LESS of these foods:
- White bread
- Sugared cereals
- Beverages high in sugar: soda, sweet tea, juice, chocolate milk, Kool-Aid
- Ice cream
- Sweets/baked goods
- Red meat
- Fatty and fried foods: french fries, fried chicken, butter
- Chicken nuggets
- Big Mac and cheese
Choose MORE of these foods:
- Vegetables: carrots, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant
- Fruit: apples, oranges, grapes, kiwi
- Lean Proteins: baked skinless chicken, grilled fish, smoked salmon, lean deli meats
- Low-Fat dairy: park-skim mozzarella, skim or low-fat milk, low-fat cottage cheese
- Brown rice
- Whole wheat pasta
- Legumes: lentils, kidney beans, black beans
- Whole wheat bread
- Sugar substitutes: Equal, Splenda, Sweet-n-Low
- Low fat and calorie healthy fats: nonfat cooking spray, small amounts of vegetable oils, spray salad dressings
- Low sugar, noncarbonated, decaf liquids: water, Crystal Light, Fruit2O