By cutting calories in small places at each meal, by the end of the day you’ll end up with big reductions that you probably won’t even notice! Here are some tips on how to swap out food and drinks for their lower calorie versions.
- Replace your morning glass of regular juice with a glass of lite or reduced-sugar juice
- Switch out 1 ounce (oz) of cooked pork bacon for 1 oz of Canadian bacon
- Trade 1⁄4 cup (C) of regular pancake syrup for 1⁄4 C of lite pancake syrup
- Replace 2 fluid ounces (fl oz) of flavored coffee creamer with 2 fl oz of 2% milk
- Replace 1 C of a cream-based soup with 1 C of a broth-based soup
- Skip the cheese on your burger, sandwich, or salad
- Choose carbonated fruit-flavored water, instead of regular soda
- Trade a 6-oz cup of yogurt with fruit on the bottom for a 4-oz cup of lite yogurt blended with fruit
- Make your tacos with 3 oz of grilled chicken breast, instead of 3 oz of 85% lean ground beef
- Choose one slice of thin-crust cheese pizza, instead of a slice of pepperoni pan pizza (one piece is measured as one-eighth of a 14′′ pizza)
- Replace either smoked pork or beef sausage with either smoked turkey or chicken sausage
- Replace 2 tablespoons (Tbsp) of salted stick butter with 2 Tbsp of a reduced-calorie margarine spread
- Choose 1⁄2 C of black beans, instead of refried beans, when preparing Mexican food
If you would like more information about how Anchorage Bariatrics can help you with a customized weight loss solution, OR would like to attend a free informational seminar please call us at 907-644-THIN.
The easiest, fastest and most effective way to lose weight is to MOVE! Any kind of movement, but walking in particular, will increase your heart rate which causes your body to burn calories. Walking is a basic movement, one we often take for granted, but it has the potential to change your life. If you’re stuck at your desk all day, take a few 10 minute breaks and just walk around your office, down the hallways of your workplace, or outside. Walk to your favorite lunch spot. Walk your kids to school. Walk your dog. Can’t walk? Move your arms, do bicep curls with cans of soup, squeeze a stress ball, twist your torso back and forth. Anything you can do, for any length of time, will help.
Broccoli: Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable, so it provides anticancer benefits and raises immunity. It’s also high in fiber, which keeps blood pressure down and reduces heart-disease risk. Steam it if you want to appreciate it on its own, or add it stir-fries, salads, or omelets.