We all know that a healthy diet consists of a wide variety of foods that provide nutrients to support our bodies, but when are the best times to consume these nutrients? And how do you fuel your body while cutting calories to lose weight?

Your metabolism can be compared to a machine – your body needs “fuel” to run efficiently. If you don’t put gas in your car, it can’t go. If you don’t put food in your body, you can’t go. This is why skipping meals is not a good idea, especially when you’re trying to lose weight. Not eating breakfast, for example, can actually lead to weight gain! Studies have shown that people who skip breakfast regularly weigh more than people who eat within an hour of waking each day.

Snacking is also an important part of a healthy diet – as long as you choose the right foods. Change your mindset to think of snack time as just another meal, not a time to grab a bag of chips and soda, but a sandwich or yogurt and fruit instead. Nutrition experts recommend eating five times a day to help prevent starvation mode which leads to poor choices and bingeing.

So, when the choice is “to eat or not to eat” the answer is “eat” as long as you’re eating fruits, vegetables, lean protein, healthy fats and fiber. Not always easy, but better than skipping meals.

If you would like more information about how Anchorage Bariatrics can help you with a customized weight loss solution, or would like to attend a free informational seminar, please call us at 907-644-THIN.

Please leave us a review on Facebook, Google, Healthgrades, Yelp and Top Rated Local! Thank you!


Lose weight the safe way

Rapid weight loss or weight loss by methods other than eating a healthy diet and exercising can be detrimental to your health. A person loses weight by burning more calories than s/he consumes over a period of time. Cutting calories by making healthy meal choices is the safest way to lose weight – not by cutting meals or restricting your diet to narrow food groups. Experts agree that weight loss of one half to two pounds per week is the best for your body. Combining moderate exercise with a structured diet plan will yield the highest results, but a general rule of thumb is that diet accounts for almost 80% of weight loss and exercise the remaining 20%.

Kitchen Swaps

Try using mashed avocado instead of butter or oil in baking. Not all fats are bad for the body. Like olive oil and nuts, avocados are high in monounsaturated fats – the good kind – which help maintain healthy cholesterol levels and stave off heart problems. In contrast, solid fats like butter are high in saturated fats, which raise cholesterol levels and the risk of cardiovascular disease.