WEIGHT LOSS CONSULT INFORMATION
Obesity in the U.S. is truly an epidemic. Currently, 35.7% of adults are obese and 68.8% are obese or overweight. It is projected that by 2050 over 42% of adults will be obese and 1 in 3 Americans will have diabetes. For the first time, in 2013, the American Medical Association classified obesity as a chronic disease.
Let us help! At Anchorage Bariatrics we offer a comprehensive approach to weight loss. Whether your patients need to lose 10 pounds or 100 pounds, we can help.
- BMI 25-30: Physician monitored diet and exercise plans, medication assisted weight loss
- BMI 30-39: Above options, plus: FDA approved intragastric balloons (Orbera), sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, consultation with Clinical Dietitian
- BMI 40 and up: Above options, plus: Additional surgical options, medications and dietary services
HOW TO CONSULT:
Please call the office or fax a referral form. We will first schedule them for a FREE no-obligation informational seminar. This allows us to explain many aspects of surgery prior to a more individually focused consultation.
For consideration of surgery, failed attempts at non-surgical medical treatment for obesity must be documented in the patient’s record for a minimum of 6 consecutive months within the last 18 months. This DOES NOT need to be completed before consultation with us, although in certain cases it may have been. This could be a monitored diet program (Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers…) or monthly visits to their PCP, but their weight must be documented.
In your clinical notes please include the following:
- Vital signs: MUST include patient’s weight
- Specific recommendations/suggestions for a current dietary program for weight loss (ie. 1400 cal diet, low fat diet, low carb diet, South Beach diet, etc). Please be specific.
- Specific recommendations/suggestions for physical activity or exercise program.
- Discussion of behavioral modifications and/or successful changes made.
- Discussion of or use of FDA approved pharmacotherapy, if prescribed.
3909 Arctic Blvd., Ste 101, Anchorage, AK 99503 • Telephone 907-644-8446 • Fax 907.644.8448
Provider Frequently Asked Questions
When Should I Refer a Patient?
What is the Average Timeline from Referral to Surgery?
What are the Pros and Cons of Having Surgery in AK vs Mexico?
Is a Psych Evaluation Necessary for Each Patient?
How Do You Talk to a Patient Who Is Not Controlling Their Weight?
How Do You Handle the Clinical Management of Obese Patients?
Where Can I Find Data for Correlating Medical Conditions?